We often suggest that if you find a great deal, you should grab a little extra and pass it on to someone in need. Many of us include in our weekly shopping lists items SPECIFICALLY to donate – to shelters, food banks and the like. See the weekly list of “Cheap Donation Items”.
Browsing WeUseCoupons today – I saw a thread about Women’s Shelters and I had to read it. What I learned opened my eyes to just HOW MUCH these women need when they leave their lives behind and run for safety. One brave woman shared her experience, having just left a women’s shelter for domestic abuse, listing items they needed there. I also rang up a couple local women’s shelters to ask – and I’ve compiled a donation list.
This woman summed it all for me with these words:
I checked in with my driver’s license my cell phone and my car. That’s it.
And I’m lucky.
Literally everything you use from the moment you wake up, to the moment you go to sleep… we needed.
- Hair brushes, spray, accessories (Many have to go to court to confront their abusers!)
- feminine hygeine
- contact solution, cases
- cleaning supplies
- laundry detergent
- Sample-sized items (for those relocating)
- First-aid items (Band-aids, neosporin..)
- NO MEDICATIONS ACCEPTED
For Children Staying There With Their Mothers:
- Bottles, Sippies, Pacifiers
- Toys & Books (even old ones are fine!)
Food (Think easy “cook & share” dinners like casseroles and pastas, also kid-friendly foods):
- PB & J
- Canned Goods
- Kid-friendly foods
Non-Coupon Items (When moved to a new home, they often start over with NOTHING):
- Leftover gift cards with just a little left on it (Write the amount clearly on card)
- Appliances (Large & Small!)