Here it is, my absolute most favorite cake in the whole wide world. It’s the most requested recipe at Southern Living, honestly it’s hard to describe in words just how good this cake is!! If you are looking for the perfect cake recipe, here it is!! Besides being unbelieveabley delicious, it’s super easy to make – literally just dump and stir the ingredients for the cake. Only the frosting requires a mixer, if you make it homemade.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 3/4 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 4 large)
- 1 (8-oz.) can crushed pineapple, undrained
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans (optional)
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cubed and softened
- 1 stick butter, room temperature
- 1lb sifted powdered sugar (honestly I don't sift and it's always worked fine)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Stir together flour and next 4 ingredients in a large bowl; add eggs and followed by next 4 ingredients, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Bake at 350° for 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes or until a long wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool cake in pan on a wire rack 10 minutes; remove from pan to wire rack, and cool completely (about 2 hours).
- Prepare Frosting
- Cream 1 stick of butter and cream cheese for 2 minutes, gradually add powdered sugar; continue beating. Add 1 teaspoon vanilla until well blended.
- When cake has completely cooled, frost add pecans on top if desired.
Now for a little funny. For the past couple of months, I’ve been trying to learn the art of photography. The other day when I was photographing the cake, I sat the piece of cake aside so I could photograph the whole cake. Normally that wouldn’t be a problem, except I forgot that I had sat the piece of cake on the arm of a chair. The same arm that I sometimes sit on to take pics.
Lesson learned……..I need to move plates of food I’ve already photographed out of the room when I get finished. Otherwise, I might sit on it!