If you’d been around for any amount of time, then you have heard how important it is to us to live a lifestyle of giving. No matter how many times I have the privilege of giving to others, it still gives me cold chills out of sheer excitement! God’s word is true, it is better to give than to receive! It’s contagious, the amazing feeling of having the privilege to help someone else in their time of need never grows old.
Good News Translation (GNT)
35 I have shown you in all things that by working hard in this way we must help the weak, remembering the words that the Lord Jesus himself said,
There is more happiness in giving than in receiving.
First, you might be surprised to hear – we don’t LOVE COUPONS. We don’t wake up every morning excited to cut up coupons or jump on every deal that we can find. Simply put – couponing just happened to be the tool that brought hope to our family’s finances. Most importantly it has afforded us the incredible opportunity to give into the lives of others in ways we never imagined.
When I say giving I’m not referring to giving just at Thanksgiving or Christmas. You see, as we learned how to coupon effectively a light came on one day. Every week there are items that are free or nearly free at grocery stores and drug stores. What if we started looking for items each week specifically to give? We began to look beyond our own family’s needs for opportunities to bless others.
Now, we have become purposeful givers. It has become a lifestyle that is just as important to us as shopping for our family’s needs.
To give you an idea how much of an influence you can be I’ve listed items just from Monday’s posts that would make great donation items.
· Alpo Dog Food – $0.52 ea
· Johnson’s baby Wash or Lotion – $0.09
· Reach Floss – Free
· Nabisco Snack Sacks – $0.17
· Kool-Aid Jammers 10 pk – $0.33
· Reach Floss – Free
· Uno Pictionary Card Game – $0.88
· Schick Disposable Razors – Free
· Bic Cristal Pens – Free
· Avery Binders – Free after Rewards
· Bic Mark-it Permanent Markers 5 Pk – $1 after Rewards
· HP Everyday 100 Pk Photo Paper – $1.00 after Rewards
· Soft-soap Liquid Hand soap – $0.08
· Value Box of Diapers 72 count & Wipes 432 Count – $9.99 for both!!
This is a more expensive donation item, however if you are out shopping with a friend you could go in together.
What goes where? Donation suggestions:
· Grocery/ Personal Care Items / Household Items – Food Banks, Homeless Shelters, Battered Women’s Shelters, local church pantry, Salvation Army, United Way
· Pet Food – Animal Shelters, Churches
· School Supplies – Schools, Day Care, Salvation Army, Churches
· Baby Items – Teen Pregnancy Centers, Food Banks, Homeless Shelters, Battered Women’s Shelters, Churches, Salvation Army, United Way
· Homeless People – Make baggies of personal care items such as toothbrush, toothpaste, non-perishable food like snack crackers, Chap Stick, shampoo etc. to keep in your car. As you see the need arise you are prepared.
We’ve also collected groceries at home and waited until we heard of a specific need. I’ve given bags of groceries to complete strangers.
Time 2 $ave + Time 2 Give = Time 4 Hope
It’s not just about getting a deal; it’s about making a difference….