We frugal foodies have unique challenges that normal shoppers don’t. This little segment aims to help by offering:
- Stockpile-cooking ideas
- Clever Casseroles in which to hide your leftovers from the hubby & kids
- Kitchen tips & tricks
- Freezer-cooking recipes & planning
- And really, everything but the kitchen sink!
Our very own “Deal Detective Kim” has generously offered to take the lead on this one (aspiring food writer that she is) – so now, I’ll turn it over to you Kim!
Peanut Butter Blossoms:
- 48 HERSHEY’S KISSES Brand Milk Chocolates
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup REESE’S Creamy Peanut Butter
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Granulated sugar
Reese’s Peanut Butter Temptations:
Chex Muddy Buddies (AKA Puppy Chow):
- 9 cups Rice Chex®, Corn Chex® or Chocolate Chex® cereal (or combination)
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
Into large bowl, measure cereal; set aside.
In 1-quart microwavable bowl, microwave chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter uncovered on High 1 minute; stir. Microwave about 30 seconds longer or until mixture can be stirred smooth. Stir in vanilla. Pour mixture over cereal, stirring until evenly coated. Pour into 2-gallon resealable food-storage plastic bag.
Add powdered sugar. Seal bag; shake until well coated. Spread on waxed paper to cool. Store in airtight container in refrigerator.