Here’s another recipe a friend of mine posted on facebook this week, Cheesy Tortilla Soup. I can’t wait to try this, it looks fantastic. Nothing like a hot bowl of soup on a chilly winter day. I would pair this with tortilla chips, or possibly Mexican Cornbread. If you have a recipe you’d like to share with us, we might feature it on the blog. Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with “recipe” in the subject line. Include detailed instructions along with photos.
A couple of weeks ago a friend of mine posted a photo of special Spanish Style Chili on facebook. It looked amazing, so much so that I immediately messaged her and asked her for the recipe so I could post it for you. It sounds easy to make, which is important in my book, and from what I heard it tastes amazing. When I remember early in the day to throw dinner in the crock pot, it sure makes dinner time much easier.
Chili makes my family happy, the more beans the better! This vegetarian Three Bean Chili recipe contains chili beans, kidney beans, and black beans for a hearty meal. This was my first attempt at making a vegetarian chili, I wasn’t sure if my family would go for it or not. As much as they love beans, I should not have worried! This Best Vegetarian Chili lived up to it’s name!! I will definitely be making it again!
This is my absolute favorite Crock Pot Chili recipe! I’ve been making it for years, a friend of mine let me in on her secret recipe for the best chili ever several years ago……….curry powder!! I would have never guessed, especially coming from this non-adventurous girl when it comes to eating. I rarely EVER try new things!! Try it and tell me what you think! I hope you love it as much as my family does!!
Here’s a nice frugal recipe you can throw in your crockpot and forget about! This is a recipe post from our friend Laurie’s blog PassionatePennyPincher - looks yummy!
Slow Cooked French Dip Sliders adapted from All Recipes
- 3 pounds beef sirloin roast
- 1 package dry au jus mix
- 1 cup water
- 8 oz. provolone cheese
- 1 package slider buns
- Trim all fat from beef and place in slow cooker. Stir together water and au jus mix, and pour over the roast.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 6-8 ours.
- Remove roast and shred or slice. Add to sliced slider rolls, and top with provolone.
- Use au jus mix from the slow cooker to dip in.
It’s been raining here for the last few days – and it’s just the perfect kind of weather for a hearty bowl of cheesy potato soup! This was the easiest step-by-step little potato soup recipe and it made enough to feed my family of 6 two bowls each, with leftovers for lunch tomorrow! My kids and husband told me it was the BEST soup I’d ever made – I couldn’t believe it was such a big hit! The recipe below is the most basic – but I’ve added some optional extras you can use to make it even BETTER. (Like shredded carrots to give it a little vitamin kick)
- 32 oz Frozen Hasbrown Potatoes
- 4 Cups Chicken Broth (You can use Chicken boullion)
- 8oz Velveeta, Cubed
- ½ Onion, Diced
- 1 Can Cream of Chicken
- 1 Can Cream of Mushroom or Celery
- 1½ Cups Milk
- Optional Add-Ins: Minced Garlic, Pepper, Shredded cheese, Bacon bits, Sour Cream, Ritz Crackers
- Saute onion in 1 tbsp of butteron medium -high until transparent. (If you like garlic, add ½ tsp in as the onions are finishing up)
- Pour in 4 cups chicken broth or broth made with 4 cubes chicken boullion. Bring to a boil. (Add pepper if you like)
- Add frozen hasbrowns and bring to a boil. (I add 2 shredded carrots now as well)
- Add cream soups and milk and bring to a boil.
- Add velveeta and turn down heat. Stir until melted.
- To serve - Top with shredded cheese, bacon bits, and sour cream if you like. Serve with Ritz crackers for extra crunch :)
*If you’re a big fan of your slow cooker like I am – check out my recipe for Cheesy Potato Chicken Chowder HERE!
Photo Courtesy of BettyCrocker
Depending on where you live, or if your kids are in city or county schools, this might be their last week of school – which means you’re probably running around like a crazy person trying to show up for Field Day, Awards Ceremonies, Class Trips, etc…. It seems like a perfect time to share one of my favorite “busy night” crock pot meals – Crockpot Lasagna!
This recipe is super easy – and super yummy – plus the slow cooker won’t heat up your kitchen nearly as much as the oven would. Serve with a salad or a bag of ‘steam & serve’ veggies and dinner’s on the table in 5 minutes flat!
*Recipe Courtesy of Betty Crocker, and tweaked to my liking
Crockpot Lasagna Recipe
- 1 lb Cooked Sausage or Seasoned Ground Beef or Turkey
- 1 Large or 2 Reg. Size Jars Pasta Sauce (You’ll need about 45 oz total)
- Garlic, Onion, Oregano, Basil (Italian Seasoning)
- Ricotta or Cottage Cheese, 15 oz Container
- 1 cup Parmesan Cheese
- 2 Cups Mozzarella Cheese
- Box of Regular Lasagna Noodles (You’ll need 15 or so)
- Mushrooms, Onions, Spinach, etc…. (Optional)
Step 1: Brown meat and stir in pasta sauce, toss in some italian seasoning for good measure – then let your meat sauce simmer while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
Step 2: Mix Ricotta/Cottage Cheese with Parmesan Cheese and 1 Cup of the Mozzarella in a bowl and set aside.
Step 3: Pour 1/5 of your meat sauce into the bottom of your crockpot and top with a layer of dry noodles. They won’t fit perfectly, you’ll need to break off bits and pieces all over the place (I’d consider wearing safety goggles for this job) and overlap them some – but no worries, it’ll all work out in the end.
Step 4: Spread a layer of cheese mixture on top the noodles (this isn’t easy since the noodles are now in pieces, so if wetting the cheese mixture a little bit helps, then by all means, stir in a little bit of water or even an egg). Then top with any veggies or extras you like to sneak in.
Repeat steps 3 and 4 until you have 3 layers of noodles or are simply out of ingredients. It’s hard to mess this up – the most important part is to make sure there is a layer of sauce touching each layer of noodles so that it will “boil” while cooking. Cook on LOW for 6-8 hours, or on HIGH for 3-4 hours. During the last half hour, pour the extra 1 Cup Mozzarella on top so it will melt and look lovely by dinner time
Super Bowl is this coming weekend – and it’s time to pull out all the stops and fix some appetizers that will make all the guys and gals happy! If you need some new recipe ideas – check out this FREE eBook “39 Appetizer & Party Recipes” from RecipeLion. Get tons of recipes from Wings to dips – here are two dips I’d love to make!
You’ll also need a main dish for your Super Bowl party – so you can also get the Recipe Lion “38 Best Soup Recipes and Hearty Stews Cookbook“. There’s a really yummy recipe for Slow Cooker Potato Soup that will be perfect to keep in the crock pot for the game and let people load it with toppings like bacon & cheese! (Yummmmmm)