Right now you can get a FREE Subscription to Ladies Home Journal from ValueMags!
I had the amazing honor of chatting on the phone today with the shows host, Kristan Cunningham. After we made our introductions and chatted for a few minutes I was really interested to hear her take on the couponing world. One of the first things she shared with me was how blown away she was by couponers as a whole. During casting she quickly discovered that couponers were serious about being responsible. Things like, not clearing shelves and leaving coupons behind on shelves for others to pick up are examples of the kind of spirit that many of us couponers share with each other. In fact, she said it felt mission like in the process because coupons afford people the opportunity to live beautifully and create one of a kind experiences for themselves, their families and others that may have been impossible otherwise. (YEA!!! She gets it, coupons are just a tool that bring hope to peoples finances)
So, the shows not about hoarding, or even buying $300 worth of groceries for next to nothing. Instead, two super savvy couponers are each paired with a family and given $200 and 48 hours to plan an amazing party. I really loved the fact that they always shopped at a family or local grocery store that neither of the Super Savers had been in before. They have no idea what was on sale, haven’t had time to check out the match-ups online or even organize their coupons. They were handed a binder at the store with the party plan, allowed to pick one member of the family to shop with and 20 minutes to throw down their couponing and money saving skillz.
So often the human interest part of a story gets lost in the hype of reality tv. It was refreshing to hear that OWN was intentional in bringing together moments that matter with real emotions and real stories. In the premiere, the families are experiencing parallel emotions. One is celebrating a family member going away to college, the other a family member returning from deployment. One party is bittersweet, the other relief and joy, both an amazing sense of pride for their family member.
As I said in my earlier post, although couponing is part of the show it’s not the primary focus. Instead it’s a competition series about throwing parties with a $10,000 prize for the Super Saver who creates the most amazing party experience while saving money. Kristan said that couponers are more resourceful that her DIY design buddies that the spirit of couponing makes people resourceful because many of us started from a place of need or desperation. The Super Savers go beyond grocery store savings in planning their party as they are also responsible for decorating and creating authentic experiences for the families.
I don’t know about you, but I’m excited to see this fresh take on couponing. I love the concept of showing responsible savers who have figured out amazing things to make their life better. I think Kristan said it best,”It’s the spirit of who they are. Inherently, couponers are givers. Couponers are responsible savers who have made a choice to live small.
Since she’s the DIY design expert and party planning guru I had if she would share with us a couple party planning tips.
Here’s what she shared:
- .Theme parties can quickly become tacky if you go with a package look. Skip the party supply store and the matching paper plates, napkins and cups with theme characters and patterns. Instead, use items you already own in your home and thrift store finds to add up to an authentic look.
- A successfully executed party doesn’t necessarily sport the most tasteful decorations or most elegant food. It’s an event that guests walk away from having had the best experience. Whether it’s ambient lighting, the right music or the perfect fun activities, focus first on the vibe, then the details.
- From anniversary parties to job promotion shindigs, every party is a celebration of someone or some group of people’s lives or achievements. Keep the focus on the special person or occasion you’re celebrating.
- Every party doesn’t need to feature games to ensure that guests feel included and, more importantly, don’t get bored. From slideshows to crafting stations and speech giving to dancing, there are so many ways to create a unique experience. Remember that it’s about the memories you, your family and your guests take away from the event that’ll have made it special.
“If life is a cupcake, then parties are the sprinkles on it. When we look back, it’ll be those colorful little highlights that stand out. So many of life’s small and large moments deserve to be recognized and celebrated, and the more care we take with doing so, the greater impact those milestones will have on our lives.” Kristan Cunningham
Do you have any money saving party tips? If so, we’d love to hear! Please share in a comment below.
You don’t want to miss tonight’s premiere episode. Tune in August 3re at 9/8c on OWN.
Do you have any money saving party tips? If so, we’d love to hear! Please share in a comment below. You don’t want to miss tonight’s premiere episode. Tune in August 3re at 9/8c on OWN.
Image Credit: OWN
Guess what ya’ll? There’s a new show premiering tonight, Super Saver Showdown on the OWN network at 9/8c. Today, I had the amazing privilege of interviewing the shows host, Kristan Cunningham. Yes! Y’all this is The Kristan Cunningham from HGTV’s Hit show Design on a Dime and judge for HGTV’s $250,000 Challenge and Bang For Your Buck.
((insert squeal of excitement))
During our conversation I could hear Kristan’s heart, she truly has a passion to help others live beautifully. It was inspiring to hear how much the Super Savers and families on the show impacted her. You’ll have to come back later today,I’ll be posting about our conversation and sharing her take on the show, party planning tips and more. Since the season premier of Super Saver Show Down is tonight, I wanted to tell you about the show.
Image Credit: OWN
First, it’s a competition. Two "Super Savers" compete against each other to plan a party on a $200 budget. Each is paired with a family and given a party theme to shop for and plan.
Here’s the skinny:
- 2 Super Savers are paired with a family to shop and plan a party
- Round 1 – Each Super Saver gets $100 and 20 minutes to shop with one member of the family
- The Super Saver who saves the most money wins a weeks worth of groceries for the family.
- Round 2 – Each Super Saver gets an additional $100 to purchase items needed to plan an amazing party for the family and 48 hours to plan and execute an amazing party
- The Super Saver creates the best party experience while saving money wins $10,000
I’m super excited about the show and can’t wait tell you all about my conversation with Kristan! Don’t forget to tune in tonight (August 3rd) at 9/8c on OWN. In the meantime you can check out a 5 minute sneak peek here.
Now, I already know what ya’ll are thinking, in casting for the show Kristan told me that they looked for responsible couponers. Although couponing is a huge component of the show, it’s not the primary focus. Remember, it’s a competition with a goal of creating an amazing party experience for the families while saving money at the same time. Then, the Super Saver who wins gets $10,000.
Wow – what a great deal! Today only, get Ladies Home Journal Magazine 1-Year Subscription for only $3.99 when you GO HERE and enter code TIME2SAVE at checkout! This magazine is regularly $29.88 – so this is a great discount.
*This deal is only valid until the end-of-day today!
Here’s a hot deal on Weight Watchers Magazine! Get a 1-Year Subscription to Weight Watchers Magazine for only $4.50 (reg $26.55) when you GO HERE and use code TIME2SAVE at checkout.
*This deal is only valid until the end-of-day today!
This month, once again we have all watched or suffered through a new round of tornadoes sweeping through the nation. In fact, one of our dear friends lost her house and her entire neighborhood this week in Harrison, TN. Many of you have voiced the question on all our hearts:
How can I help?
Well, this morning, we are bringing you one simple and powerful way to immediately reach out and help those who are trying to rebuild once again… Purchase a subscription to All You Magazine. For every subscription sold through this special fundraising link – $6 will be donated to tornado relief efforts.
Last year, right after the April 2011 tornadoes hit, we began this fundraiser, naming it Click4Hope. We invited other bloggers to join us – and together we all raised a whopping $28,000! (See the news coverage HERE) This past December we donated $7,000 each to the following: Cleveland, TN., Ringgold, GA., Moody AL., and Joplin, MO
What is All You Magazine?
All You Magazine is the ultimate couponer’s magazine. Each issue is stocked with up to $100 in coupons, money-saving tips, and frugal recipes, style tips and activities. Normally you would pay $2.49 an issue at Walmart – which is worth every penny. (April’s issue has over $80 in coupons!)
Through Click4Hope’s special fundraising link – not only can get All You for just $1.25 an issue (50% off the cover price) – but $6 will be donated to help disaster relief efforts in your own hometown!
This year – our goal is $50,000, and I know that we can reach it together! Please share this post with friends and family – let’s combine our reach to make a big difference!
Debby McCuiston, the “Queen of Clutter-Free”, does a segment for us each Sunday on simplifying our lives, getting rid of “clutter”, and focusing on what’s important. We look forward to her words of wisdom each week & hope you enjoy it too! Take it away Debby….
Do you ever sit around and dream about things you want to accomplish in your life time? It’s one of my husband’s and my favorite things to do on Saturday mornings. We sleep until we are ready to get up (or our bones start to ache) then we move to the living room for a cup of coffee. If we don’t have anything that has to be done or anywhere to go, we can talk for hours. We talk about our dreams about projects for our house, we plan new exercise programs, and things we want to do- budget wise. We even talk about how to solve the world’s problems, and what we will do when we retire.
It’s my favorite way to waste a day!
We’ve dreamed about some of the same things for years. We have planned projects, some we have completed, some we have reworked and some are still in the dreaming stage. But to be honest some dreams are always going to be dreams. There will always be things that stand in our way; money and time seem to be the biggest road blocks. Realistically, our biggest challenge is failing to plan the project from start to finish. As a result we have unfinished projects; some are waiting for the time and/or money to magically appear.
Dreaming is my favorite part of any project, we dream big! There is no cost involved and can be finished before days end. However, nothing ever gets finished when all we do is dream, talk and drink coffee.
If you don’t already have an All*You subscription, go HERE to grab 24-issues for $30!! That’s only $1.25 an issue! It is only available to purchase single-copy at Wal-Mart for $2.49 an issue, so subscribe and save 50%!
The really cool part is… this deal will also help others!! Go HERE to find out how getting this an deal is helping tornado-stricken families in need. Already have a subscription? Get another so you’ll have TWICE as many great coupons!
*Don’t forget that it will take up to 12 weeks to start getting your first issue. Until then print the coupon above to save $0.50 on the February issue. The single copy price is $2.49 with the coupon you’ll pay $1.99!
All*You Magazine contains hundreds of dollars in coupons per issue – it’s the official magazine of the couponing community, so get your subscription now!
February Total: $52.60
Check out this months All You Magazine Coupons:
- $0.55/2 Sensibly Seasoned Glory Foods Products
- Buy any Sally Hansen Nail Enamel and get a Sally Hansen Beauty Tool Product
- $4 off any K-Y Brand Date Night Pack, Intense, Intrigue, Yours+Mine Couples Lubricants or Yours+Mine Kissable Sensations
- $0.50/1 Minute Rice Product
- $0.50/2 cans of Dole Pineapple
- $2.50 off any Zantac Product (24 ct or lgr)
- $2/2 Summers Eve External Products
- $1 off your Issue of All You Health & Fitness Special
- $0.50/1 Package of Egg Beaters (15 oz)
- $0.75/1 Weight Watchers Cheese or Cream Cheese Product
- $1 off any M&M’s Brand Products (9.9 oz or lgr)
- $2 off any Zicam Product
- $1 off Arnicare Gel (2.6 oz)
- $1.50 off any Similasan Product
- $2 off any size Urinozinc Prostate Formula
- $1 off Oscillo Adult (6 or 12 dose)
- $0.50 off Udderly Smooth Products (8 oz or lgr)
- $1 off 1 Mineral Ice Product
- $1 off 1 Can de Kamp’s ParchmentBake or Van de Kamp’s Bonus Pack
- $3 on Osteo Bi-Flex Softgels, Caplets, or Powders
- $1 off any Nature’s Bounty Product
- $5 on any Flex-a-min Supplement
- $1 on any Disney or Marvel Multivitamins
- $1 on any Ester-C Product
- $1 on any 1 Activia (4 pk)
- $1 on any 1 Danimals Crunchers
- $1 on 1 bag of Hershey’s Bliss Chocolates
- $1 on any 1 Slimfast Product $1 on any 2 Glade (4 oz) Jar or Scented Oil Candle Products
- $1 off L’Oreal Paris Preference with the purchase All You Magazines March Issue
- $1 off K-Y Yours+Mine with the purchase All You Magazines March Issue
- $1 off Mucinex Fast-Max Liquid with the purchase All You Magazines March Issue
- $1 off 1 Olivari Mediterranean Olive Oil (any size or variety)
- $1 on Jillian Michael’s Whey Protein
- $2 on any e.p.t Product
- $1 on any Anacin Product
- $0.55/1 on any Auro Product
- $0.50/1 on any bag of Halls Drops
Thank you for your support! By purchasing a subscription from our site, you will be helping the victims of last Springs tornados rebuild their lives. Last year we raised $28,000 to help tornado victims, in December we donated $7,000 each to the following: Cleveland, TN., Ringgold, GA., Moody AL., and Joplin, MO.
Here is a picture of us delivering one of the checks to Cleveland, TN Salvation Army!
Time 2 $ave + Time 2 Give = Time 4 Hope
It’s not just about getting a deal………It’s about making a Difference!