We frugal foodies have unique challenges that normal shoppers don’t. This little segment aims to help by offering:
- Stockpile-cooking ideas
- Clever Casseroles in which to hide your leftovers from the hubby & kids
- Kitchen tips & tricks
- Freezer-cooking recipes & planning
- And really, everything but the kitchen sink!
Thanks to DealDetectiveKim - who writes our weekly segment of ideas! Send her an email or leave a comment with any suggestions you’d like to see!
Last week, Jamie and I were chatting about using the “Best Buys of the Week” column as a basis for the “Pantry Cooking” column. I was GOING to do this for this past weekend, but things got a little out of hand (again!) and Jamie gracefully covered for me with a Homemade Bulk Taco Seasoning Recipe. (Thanks Jamie–you rock!) Please note that unless stated otherwise, the prices listed are from last week’s ads.
So this column is less about recipes and more about ideas for using those best buys to get something on the table fast and cheap.
Let’s start with those Boca meatless entrees (.26 at Publix the week of 3/3). There are quite a few things you can do with them:
- The crumbles can be substituted for ground beef in pretty much anything. You could use them to make Hamburger Helper (.33 at Food Lion!), cutting your time nearly in half because you don’t have to brown them first!
- The “Chicken” patties can be used to make a quick Chicken Parmesan–just combine them with jarred pasta sauce (Ragu–.45 at Food Lion this week) and cheese and you’re done! Do this with the fried-looking ones, and -
- Use the grilled-looking ones to shred and use in a chicken casserole or to make chicken salad.