Summer Reading Programs for 2013
Barnes & Noble’s Summer Reading: This one requires kids to read eight books an then make a short recommendation on each one. They can then turn in their completed Summer Reading form at a store and choose a free book from this list! This even starts May 21st and runs through September 3rd.
Showcase Cinemas Bookworm Wednesdays: Each Wednesday from July 10 – August 7, kids can bring in a book report (unless you are six and under and then admission will be free) – which will be cost of admission! The films in include:
- July 10th – Yogi Bear
- July 17th – Ice Age: Continental Drift
- July 24th – Madagascar 3
- July 31st – The Lorax
- August 7th – Hotel Transylvania
* Select locations only
Library Summer Reading Program: Be sure to check with your local library to see what sort of summer reading program is offered. While the details aren’t posted online yet – here’s what normally is required:
- Read a minimum of 10 books on any subject on your reading level and return your logbook by a certain date. Pre-readers may participate by listening to at least 10 stories.
- Our library gives out prize bags full of local restaurant coupons, passes to the Creative Discovery Museum, and small toys/treats!
Pizza Hut Book-It Program. This program is offered to schools – including home schooling parents. Starting this Wednesday, March 1st, homeschoolers can sign up to get in on the program. You can watch their Facebook page for more details.
Scholastic’s Summer Challenge: Kids can keep track of their reading minutes by logging in. In return, they can enter to win various sweepstakes including the following:
- 39 Clues prize pack: all the books from both series one, The Clue Hunt, and series two, Cahills vs. Vespers, in a The 39 Clues Backpack.
- Dear Dumb Diary prize pack: one DVD of the original Dear Dumb Diary movie, piece of original art by Dear Dumb Diary author Jim Benton, complete set of Dear Dumb Diary (12 books) and complete set of Dear Dumb Diary Year Two (4 books).
- The False Prince prize pack: One autographed copy of The False Prince by Jennifer Nielsen and one autographed copy of The Runaway King by Jennifer Nielsen
- Harry Potter box set: One Harry Potter Hard Cover Boxed Set #1-7A 39 Clues Prize Pack
Chuck E Cheese Reward Calendars: Looking for a fun way to reward your kids for their accomplishments? Download Chuck E Cheese reward calendars , mark off books you’ve read, bring it in completed to Chuck E. Cheese’s and receive 10 free tokens as a reward
Pottery Barn Kids’ Summer Reading Challenge: Kids 10 and under will need to read the books listed on an age-appropriate list. Once they finish the list, they take their reading list to a PBK store and will get a free book. This event kicks off on May 16th and runs through August 26th. and more details will be available at that time.
Sylvan’s Book Adventure Program: This program is for children in grades K-8. The search online for books and then find them in the library (or bookstore) and read them. Then, they come back and take quiz about the book and are rewarded with prizes for their reading success!
H.E.B. Summer Reading Club: When your kids read 10 or more books, they can submit a form and end up getting a cool prize (which includes a T-Shirt). Just fill out the form including the books your child has read (if your kids can’t read, you can just list the books you read to them) and mail to the address on the form! The form must be postmarked by October 1, 2013.
- Thanks PennyPinchinMom!
Bob Jones University: Children ages 4 – 17 can participate in this fun program. First, you will want to find the reading requirements and even review the suggested reading lists. Then, print out a log for your child’s age group. You will determine the goal which can be to read for a select number of minutes or number of pages on a daily basis. As your child reaches his/her goal, the log is updated. At the end of 40 days, Once they have completed the log, your will submit the completion form and mail it in (prior to August 15, 20130). Prizes are awarded for completing the program while supplies last.
Your child will also be entered to win one of nine Summer Reading Tote bags filled with JourneyForth Books (3 for each age group). They might also win the grand prize – a Kindle Fire!! (Thanks Surviving a Teacher’s Salary!)