Make-Ahead Breakfast Casserole
If you’ve got family staying with you, or just have all the kids home from school and want to feed a small crowd something hearty and simple tomorrow morning, here’s a recipe I like to bring out around the holidays and I thought you might like it too!
★ The great thing about this, is you can pour it all in the dish and cover it before you go to bed, and then stick it in the oven while the coffee’s brewing in the morning!
- 1 can crescent rolls (I used 2, in a giant roasting pan, for my little crowd)
- 1 dozen eggs (or thereabouts…)
- 2 c. shredded cheese (Got any stored in the freezer? This would be a perfect use!)
- 1 lb. cooked breakfast meat (Sausage, ham, bacon – whatever you have on hand. One time I even used Bacon Bits. It was not too bad actually.)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Salsa, chiles, mushroom, onions, etc if you like it fancy!
- Grease a 9 x 13 inch casserole dish.
- Flatten out your unbaked crescent rolls in the bottom for the “crust”. (If you’re spreading it thickly, you might want to stick it in the oven for 5 minutes while you get the rest ready – that way you make sure it’s not doughy at the end.)
- Pour cooked meat evenly over “crust”.
- Pour beaten eggs over the meat.
- Pour cheese over layer of eggs.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35 – 45 minutes or until set (this time varies depending on how many eggs you used).
- Cool 10 minutes before cutting into squares and serve!