DIY Mason Jar Wall Planters
We posted this adorable mason jar wall planter craft before (thanks to our super-hip friend Amber) – but with Spring around the corner it seems like a good time to mention it again!!
This DIY is a little bit different than my normal crafts because it involves some power tools! One thing I’m not the best at, so you’ll notice my handy husband in the pictures. But if you like this look, go for it. It’s definitely worth the effort.
What you need:
- Old pallet or any other weathered wood
- Wide mouth Mason jars
- 3.5 inch diameter metal clamp
- Screwdriver with drill bits
- Flat head screwdriver
1. Start with your pallet, we used a crowbar to separate the wood from the pallet.
2. Using your handsaw cut a plank of the pallet wood to a desired size, I usually make mine around 16 inches long.
After you have it the length you want, measure how where you want to place the jars. I like to keep mine 3 inches from each end and about an 1-2 inches apart. (If any of you are like me, this is the hardest part, I don’t specialize in mathematical measurements)
3. Drill hole in clamps to prepare for the screw, to do this I used a drill bit proportioned in size to the size screw I would be using to attach clamp to wood. Below is what your hole would look like.
4. Once your holes are cut, drill your clamps in your measured areas. I would suggest using shorter screws to avoid poking out the back side of the wood.
5. Last step! Place your Mason jars in the clamps and tighten with a flat head screw driver.
Don’t worry if your measurements are off, just unscrew and try again. You can probably eye it better than you can measure.
If you are using these as planters; hang the plank where you want, put your soil in the jars separately, then tighten them into the clamps.
I absolutely love these planters, Enjoy!
Jamie here – I see discarded pallets around town all the time – and now that I’ve learned how to use a drill on metal (check out my DIY Oil Pan Sled!) – I’ll definitely be giving this one a try and maybe gifting them to family!