Homemade Whole Wheat Pancakes
Kasey here, as my family continues our quest to eat healthier I am always looking for new recipes. Since we are staying away from boxed processed foods as much as possible, I have prepared many of our favorite meals from scratch. I’ve been looking for a good homemade whole wheat pancake recipe but have had a hard time finding one that sounded good. As I was perusing recipes online this morning, I found one that looked delicious and I just so happened to have all the ingredients on hand. I modified the original recipe a bit and can’t wait to share my version with you.
My kiddos have raved about these pancakes all day long! They said they were the absolute best they have ever had. Although I still think that it’s hard to beat Cracker Barrel’s pancakes, these turned out delicious!
- 3 cups whole wheat flour (I used organic)
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons flax seed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon coconut oil (can use regular oil)
- 3 1/4 tablespoons honey
- 3 cups buttermilk
- 6 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat griddle or frying pan.
- Combine dry ingredients in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl combine oil and honey. Mix well.
- Add milk and eggs to oil and honey mixture. Beat until combined.
- Stir in dry ingredients until moistened.
- Add vanilla, stir.
- Mixture will be lumpy. Avoid stirring too much as it will make the pancakes tough.
- Spray griddle with cooking spray.
- Drop 1/4 cup batter for each pancake. Batter will be very think. I used the bottom of the measuring cup to spread the batter out.
- Watch closely, use spatula to check on side cooking. Flip when bottom turns brown. These pancakes cook a little different than normal pancakes. Make sure to watch to avoid burning.
- Serve with syrup.
Could also add mashed ripe bananas, pecans, etc. Use your imagination!
You can find more recipes by checking out our recipe box here.