Some of the best gifts are the ones that are made with love by hand! As Valentine’s Day parties draw near, you might find yourself needing to come up with small favors for your child’s classroom or teachers. While it might seem easy to run out and buy a box of paper valentines, think about how much fun your children will have if they get to create the valentines themselves! For about the same cost of a few boxes of paper valentines, you can whip up your own Valentine’s Day pencil toppers for friends and teachers. The best part? This sort of valentine can be used long after the holiday is over!
Valentine’s Day pencil toppers are a great way to show your Valentine’s Day spirit, spread cheer, and give each recipient a small gift they can use throughout the year…a new pencil! Valentine’s Day pencil toppers take just a few minutes to make, and only require a few materials you may already have around the home. Take a peek at how you and your child can whip some of these cuties up yourself this Valentine’s Day season!
- Pencils (you will want one pencil for each recipient. Dollar stores usually sell holiday themed pencils at 12 for $1.00)
- Colored card stock
- Markers or metallic pens
- Hole punch
- Make a template for your kids to trace around. This template can be a heart, cupid, etc. A heart is most likely the easiest.
- Have your child trace the heart onto card stock and then carefully cut it out.
- Decorate with markers and stickers. You can write witty sayings such as “You are just write for me,” or “You’ve got the write stuff.”
- Use the hole punch to make holes on each side of the heart and slide cool pencil through.
Repeat these steps until you have the desired number of favors so that each child in the class and teacher gets one. If you really want to get fancy, you can add extra embellishments such as glitter or stick on jewels. Dollar stores carry both of these materials so you can add extra pizazz for less.
Parents and teachers will appreciate these favors since most of the ones handed out at Valentine’s Day are candy! These offer a healthy alternative. Homemade Valentine’s Day pencil toppers are nice because they allow your child to get involved in the giving process and give a favor that is useful as well.
Round up the kids and try making your own Valentine’s Day pencil toppers. This activity is wallet friendly, teeth friendly, and parent approved!
Happy Valentine’s Day!