(Pin This Recipe using the share bar at the bottom of the post)
It’s a rainy sort of day here in Tennessee, the kind of evening that has just got cheesy potato soup written all over it I wanted to repost my favorite cheesy potato soup recipe – but also I’d like add that I made it recently in the my crockpot and it was DELICIOUS! So here’s the original recipe – and the new update for the slowcooker is under that.
Easy Cheesy Potato Soup
This simple but amazing little potato soup recipe made enough to feed my family of 6 two bowls each, with leftovers for lunch tomorrow! My family told me it was the BEST soup I’d ever made – which I will chalk up to the fact that Velveeta was present. (Credit where credit is due) The recipe below is the most basic – but I’ve added some optional extras you can use to make it even BETTER. (Like shredded carrots to give it a little vitamin kick)
- 32 oz Frozen Hashbrown Potatoes
- 4 Cups Chicken Broth (You can use Chicken boullion)
- 8 oz Velveeta, Cubed
- 1/2 Onion, Diced
- 1 Can Cream of Chicken
- 1 Can Cream of Mushroom or Celery
- 1 1/2 Cups Milk
- Optional Add-Ins: Minced Garlic, Pepper, Shredded Carrots
- Toppings: Shredded Cheese, Bacon bits, Sour Cream, Ritz Crackers
- Saute onion in 1 tbsp of butteron medium -high until transparent. (If you like garlic, add 1/2 tsp in as the onions are finishing up)
- Pour in 4 cups chicken broth or broth made with 4 cubes chicken boullion. Bring to a boil. (Add pepper if you like)
- Add frozen hasbrowns and bring to a boil. (I add 2 or 3 shredded carrots now as well)
- Add cream soups and milk and bring to a boil.
- Add Velveeta and turn down heat. Stir until melted.
- To serve – Top with shredded cheese, bacon bits, and sour cream if you like. Serve with Ritz crackers for extra crunch :)
For the crock-pot version I made – just dump all the solid ingredients, including boullion cubes, into your crockpot. Pour in the water and the cream soups, and set it on High for 4 Hours, or Low for 6-8. SO EASY!!
Things I would change about the crock-pot version:
1) I put my Velveeta in at the beginning, but I almost think it would’ve been wiser to melt it in the microwave and add it at the end (It stuck to the sides of the crockpot a little)
2) I would take out the stupid celery. I hate celery. I don’t know why I added it. I think I was in chicken noodle soup mode when I had that brainstorm. UGH! Anyway – it does make the picture look prettier
For a full honest-to-goodness post on the slow-cooker potato soup recipe – stay tuned because I’m putting it up tomorrow for our first edition of Slow Cooker Sunday!
And – like I said before – if potato soup is just not floating your boat – make sure to get 38 Soup & Stew recipes for FREE right here!