DIY Kids’ TV Snack Tray
Hi! I’m Amber Anderson, I am a pastors wife, mom of 2 lovely boys, and an avid DIY’er. I post regularly about DIY projects, crafts and family life.
If any of you are like me, you have a constant flow of crumbs surrounding your couches and rugs from the kids eating snacks. In my case, I pretty much let Jude (my 2 year old) eat whatever, whenever and where ever he wants it. This is mostly because he never wants to eat, so when he does, I happily oblige. So with him, I decided to come up with something that would allow him to snack without having to sit at a table (which is a struggle all of its own).
This DIY can go with any style though, I can picture it on an ottoman with some magazines and a candle, or used as a breakfast tray on special occasions. My creative sister-in-law, Jillian, even decorated hers with a paper map of Detroit.
What you need:
- Tray (I got a cheap tray from Ikea, around 8 bucks)
- Paint (I always shop the oops paint at Home Depot, a small jar is .50!)
- Mod Podge
- Foam brush
- Polyurethane/Clear coat
1. Lay out your fabric over the tray, do a quick trace around the bottom edge, so you’ll know where to cut. As you can see, mine did not turn out perfect..don’t sweat it!
2. Paint around the entire upper part of the tray. In the picture, I have the tray taped off BUT you do not need to do this. I found out afterwards that since my fabric did not fit exact, it looks better if you paint around the base of the tray also. (See picture in Step 3)
3. After the paint is COMPLETELY dry, pour Mod Podge onto the tray and completely cover over the entire base with a foam brush. Lay fabric back down and smooth out with your hands until it is completely stuck to tray.
4. After the fabric and Mod Podge is hardened and dry, add more Mod Podge to the top of the fabric. Coat and smooth over with foam brush.
5. After its completely dry you can spray the whole thing with a clear coat spray, or you can brush on a polyurethane coat. Whatever you think would be easiest to clean.
Here is my finished product, we would love to see yours!