I absolutely love BBQ sauce, especially my family’s homemade recipe. One of my favorite summertime recipes is grilled chicken hot off the grill slathered in BBQ sauce. Truthfully, I prefer twice as much sauce as chicken as you might have noticed in the image above. Recently, after watching an episode of ABC’s The Chew about BBQ chicken (see clip below) I really wanted BBQ chicken for dinner. However, I knew the next day we had already planned a full day out to the Chattanooga Duck Tour, and then Coolidge Park. So, I improvised and decided to use the crockpot instead.
I didn’t want ordinary crockpot BBQ chicken! This episode totally inspired me to make my family’s homemade BBQ sauce. Not only is the BBQ sauce amazing, the smell brought back so many wonderful memories of my daddy. I remember standing by his side so many times while he was cooking on the grill, or stirring a big pot of homemade BBQ sauce. I’ve included my family’s secret (or now not so secret) recipe below. It was so nice after a fun day out with the kiddos to have dinner almost ready when we walked in the door.
- 2 cups ketchup
- 3 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup water
- 2-3 tablespoons Worcestershire
- 1 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon pepper (or less to taste)
- dash garlic powder
- 1 tsp hot sauce (optional)
- 1 med onion chopped (optional)
- Ingredients for Crockpot BBQ Chicken
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast
- Mix mustard and ketchup thoroughly in saucepan.
- Add sugar, spices, and chopped onion. Place over heat and bring to a boil.
- Add remaining ingredients, and place lid on pot (but leave ajar).
- Reduce heat to very low and simmer til thick as desired. Approx 30 minutes
- Crockpot BBQ Chicken
- Place boneless skinless chicken breast in crockpot.
- Cover with 1/2 cup homemade BBQ sauce.
- Cook on low for 6 hours.
- Add additional 1/2 cup of sauce during last 30 minutes of cooking.
- Remove and serve. If desired, cover with BBQ sauce. Can also shred chicken.
If you haven’t watched ABC’s The Chew check out the episode included below. It’s a new kind of talk show that serves up everything food helping you make life fuller, more flavorful, and fun. I absolutely love to cook and am always looking for new recipes! I rarely watch TV unless it involves cooking!
I’m always looking for new ways to spice up my Summer dishes, and ABC’s The Chew serves up everything from grilling and outdoor entertaining to road trips and picnics. Watch weekdays 1e|12p|c on ABC to see what celebrity chefs Mario Batali, Michael Symon, and Carla Hall, lifestyle expert Clinton Kelly and fresh face of healthy living Daphne Oz are dishing out to inspire you this Summer.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of ABC’s The Chew. The opinions and text are all mine.