Crock-Pot Cola Ham
Easter is coming, and I’m already stressing out about how to get everything cooked and on the table at the same time for the BIG Meal. I know some people have this down to a science, but I’m just not one of them! Crock-Pot Cola Ham my favorite go to recipe for an easy and delicious main dish.
For all you busy moms, this is my FAVORITE way to make the Holiday Ham the easiest part of your meal using Coke and a Crock Pot. I give total credit to my wonderful mother-in-law for this one – as a pastor’s wife, she just has a knack for cooking good Southern food the easy and yummy way!
Crock-Pot Cola Ham – What You Need:
- 3-4 lb Fully Cooked Ham (I’m using the “Butt” half this year)
- 1 can Coca Cola (I find it’s the most carbonated)
- Slow-Cooker big enough for your ham
Fancy People Extras:
- Orange or Pineapple Juice (For an extra basting zing)
- Any kind of fruit juice or jam or applesauce will be a great addition to the crockpot because it will give the ham more flavor
- Pineapple Rings (Stick in with toothpicks)
- Maraschino Cherries (Stick in with toothpicks)
- Whole Cloves
Photo credit: RecipeTips.com
Trim the fat, leaving a 1/4″ layer. Score your ham with shallow cuts diagonally (both ways) to make a diamond pattern. Place in Crock Pot and pour Coke over it. Cook on High for 1 hour, and then turn to Low for the next 6-7 hours. While cooking, occasionally scoop out some of the liquid and pour over the ham to keep it moist.
No Crockpot? No Problem!
You can do this in the oven as well, just put it in a 350 degree oven for about 10 minutes/lb. You’ll want to set on a foil-lined pan and also wrap the ham in foil. Wrap it in a ay that allows you to baste with Coke frequently.
Why This Works:
The acidity and carbonation in the coke tenderizes the ham, while the thin layer of fat melts (or self-bastes) to make it very moist. Plus you get a sweet flavor that no-one would guess comes from a can of Coke!
What is your favorite way to cook your Easter or Christmas ham? Share it in the comment section!