How to Make S’Mores
S’mores are part of summer in my mind – starry nights, campfire light, marshmallow-ey bites…. They just go together!
If you’ve never made S’mores, it’s a fun way to pass the time around the campfire with your kid – but there’s also an art to it, in my opinion. As a long time Girl Scout and former camp counselor – I would like to offer my S’mores expertise for any newbies out there looking to go create some memories this summer!
What you need:
- Graham crackers
- Jumbo marshmallows
- Hershey’s chocolate *I’ve tried cheaper, generic chocolate and it’s NOT the same…. Stick with the Hershey’s- trust me on this one.
How to Make S’Mores:
- Toast a marshmallow over the fire until golden brown – although if you burn it that’s just fine too. The main thing you want it to be is HOT – so it can melt chocolate!
- With the marshmallow still on the roasting stick, break a graham cracker in half. Hold one cracker on either side of the marshmallow and use them to slide the mallow off the roasting stick. That way you don’t get sticky OR burn yourself. You’re welcome!
- Lift up the top cracker and add chocolate
- Squeeze your grahams gently together to melt your chocolate against the hot marshmallow. Hold for about 15 seconds. (The more – the meltier!) Bite. Bite. Bite. Bite. You just made a memory.
- Repeat steps 1, 2, 3, 4. :)
The BEST chocolate ratio for a S’More is: 2 Graham Cracker Halves + 1 Hot Marshmallow + 3 Hershey’s Chocolate Rectangles
*If you’re short on chocolate – 2 Rectangles is acceptable. There are 12 per Hershey Bar.
If you don’t have a roasting stick on hand -you can make a S’more roaster.
Nature’s Roaster: Use a pocket-knife to scrape the bark off the end of a long stick and point the tip a little (You’ll want to clean about a 5″ length). Some people put the mallow right on the stick – but that means you’ll be eating bits of bark, moss, or poison ivy residue – no thnaks! As good as S’mores are – they’re not good enough to risk whatever you didn’t see on your stick in the dark entering your mouth. (Ewwww!)
Closet Roaster: Your other option is a coat hanger. Bend it straight, then hold it over the fire to burn all the varnish off the end. That stuff is probably poisonous or something. Best to take no chances.