Right now at the Home Depot you can pick up this 7-Piece Steel Sling Folding Patio Set only $99! Order online and pick up in store to avoid shipping costs. Keep reading for an idea to get it even cheaper….
Amazon has some fantastic deals on Hammocks right now for Father’s Day, your porch, tree or camp site!
We wanted to wish everyone a Happy Father’s Day. My daddy is celebrating in heaven. Although, I miss him so much I know nothing on earth can compare to his eternal home. I am so thankful that we will see him again and spend eternity together. Today, my kids and I celebrate my hubby. He is an incredible husband, father, and friend. I am blessed beyond measure, and so thankful. Hold tight to the Father’s in your life you celebrate today, I hope that you can relax and lay the cares of this life aside.
On a not so serious note, my kids asked a couple of years ago how Father’s Day started. Don’t know about you, but I had no idea. So, we looked up some Father’s Day Facts and included them below in case you were wondering yourself.
Facts about Father’s Day
- The first local Father’s Day was celebrated on June 19, 1910, in Spokane, Washington.
- Father’s Day was first celebrated on the third Sunday of June.
- Sonora Louise Smart Dodd, of Spokane, Washington, started the tradition of Father’s Day in the honor of her dad, William Smart, a widowed Civil War veteran.
- In 1916, US President Woodrow Wilson approved the idea of observing an annual Father’s Day.
- In1924, US President Calvin Coolidge made Father’s Day a national event.
- In 1966, US President Lyndon Johnson signed a presidential proclamation declaring the 3rd Sunday of June as Father’s Day.
- Father’s Day is the fifth most popular card-sending holiday, with an estimated $100 million in card sales. Husbands, grandfathers, uncles, sons and sons-in-law are honored as well as father.
- The first presidential proclamation honoring fathers was issued in 1966 when President Lyndon Johnson designated the third Sunday in June as Father’s Day.
- Father’s Day has been celebrated annually since 1972 when President Richard Nixon signed the public law that made it permanent.
- Neck ties, according to the U.S. Census Bureau, are the number one gift for Father’s Day.
- In terms of popularity, Father’s Day gifts include hammers, wrenches and screwdrivers. Other presents for dad have a sporty theme: Golf clubs and fishing rods.
- In Costa Rica, attempts were made to celebrate Father’s Day on March 19, which is the feast day of St. Joseph. However, the official Father’s Day date in Costa Rica is still third Sunday in June.
- Rose is the official flower for Father’s Day. Wearing a red rose signifies a living father, while white one represents deceased father.
- It has been claimed by Hallmark, the renowned greeting card maker that Father’s Day makes up the fifth-largest card-sending holiday in the world.
- It is believed that the word “Dad” dates back to as early as the sixteenth century.
- In Australia, the first Sunday of September is observed as Father’s Day, while Finnish people celebrate the festival on the second Sunday of November. In Thailand, 5th December is observed as Father’s Day every year.
Father’s Day Printable | DAD & ME Questionnaire for Kids
My kids always come home with the sweetest “All About My Mom” questionnaires they’ve filled out at school for Mother’s Day. They are some of my absolute favorite keepsakes – especially the one where my 8 year old guesses “I think my moms weighs… 100 Pounds”. ;)
I decided to make a Father’s Day Printable questionnaire for the boys to fill out this year. Feel free to print out this very basic Q&A for your kids – and see what kinds of answers they come up with!
Father’s Day Printable Dad & Me Questionnaire - PRINT HERE
While you’re at it, check out our 11 BEST Father’s Day Dessert Ideas
And help the kids give something out of their own allowance with these ideas for Father’s Day Gifts from Kids (under $5)
My kids always want to give something to their dad on Father’s Day that’s just from them. And since they’ve passed the phase of coloring pictures of themselves with dad, or making him a cardboard tie – they’re needing some ideas they can afford on their own allowance. Here are some ideas to help you help them get ready – 11 Father’s Day Gifts from Kids under $5!
A great way to show dad you “get” him – just let him relax and enjoy his golf or baseball magazine in peace and quiet Amazon currently has TONS of $5 Magazine Subscriptions.
For gifting, it’s best to snag the current issue at the store so he has something to open while you wait for the subscription to arrive.
Coffee Mug or Travel Mug
Dad’s who like their coffee will like a mug that speaks to their manly side. Especially an encouraging quote to start the day off right. Family Christian Bookstores has some great inspirational mugs at the $5 price point – I love this Courage mug!
Photo courtesy of whimsicalkidscanvas
Grilling Apron with Handprints
Pick up an inexpensive dollar store apron and have the kids put their handprints on it in paint. Stencil their names, or write “King of the Grill” on the front – like this one over at rockinmama.
Ice Ball Maker
This ice ball maker is just one of those cool things dad would open and love. I say this because it’s been on the best-seller list for MONTHS on Amazon and my husband wants one too. Don’t question it – it’s just a dude thing I guess. (Some of these are $5 or under, and some are just a buck or so more)
If dad’s a movie-lover, a pass to go see a movie one Saturday afternoon might be right up his alley. You can get them a little cheaper at matinee prices – or search out a cheap theater near you where they show slightly older films.
If he works in an office – a photo mousepad is something dad can take with him that won’t claim any of the limited space on his desktop . Personalize it with pics of the kids doing fun things with dad and pay only $1 + Shipping right now at York Photo! The shipping cutoff to arrive by Father’s Day is 6/10. If you miss the cutoff, you can always get one at Walmart for $9.96
Dad’s Favorite Snacks Basket
Have your child interview dad about his favorite snacks – and then print out some coupons and head to the store to get as much goodies as their allowance will allow. Help them put it together so it looks cute and rent a superhero movie from the Redbox for a nice evening of bonding.
A $5 Giftcard
Sometimes dads just need to treat themselves to a new crossword puzzle book, or some Starbucks or Baskin Robbins or Five Guys. Knowing their child spent some of their allowance to give them that little treat is kind of heartwarming
New Tacklebox & Lure
For the fishing dad, you can never have too many tackleboxes. More places to put all those new lures you want Amazon has several smaller boxes for around $3 – $5, so your kids should have enough $$ left to pick up a new lure too!
If you have a faith-filled dad, he might like an inspirational book. Some of them are a little pricey, but here are a few that are just $5: The Mossy Oak Trail Guide, His Footsteps My Pathway, and Instinct: The Power to Unleash Your Inborn Drive
Nice Framed Picture
Find a good pic of dad and the kids and let them pick out a nice new frame. Kohl’s often has some nice frames at big discounts.
I hope some of these Father’s Day gift ideas under $5 helps you out! And we’d LOVE to hear any you can add to the list
And for a completely free – but utterly meaningful gift for the man you love, I highly recommend doing the Love List Challenge.
You may also want to check out these Gift Ideas for Men (written by a man)
UPDATE: This would be such a fun Father’s Day cake as well, for the fishing dad!
To celebrate summer break – the kids and I made this fun Pool Party Fish Cake and invited the neighborhood kids over for cake and water games! Check out our post on 15 water games HERE!
It turned out super cute – and would be appropriate for any pool party, summertime soiree or even Father’s Day for the fishing dad. Here’s how to make your own Pool Party Fish Cake.
Amazon is offering FREE 1-Day Shipping on select Father’s Day gifts - choose from all wallets, watches, shoes, belts, sunglasses and lots more!
One deal I spotted was this Timex Expedition watch on sale for $20.35 + FREE 1-Day Shipping. Use 30% OFF code SUMMERTIME at checkout and it drops to just $14.66! (Reg $42.99)
See the discounts for shipping and the 30% OFF Timex discount above when I ran through the checkout process
Plus, get FREE 2-Day Shipping with Amazon Prime, or Free Super-Saver shipping with a $35 purchase.
- Subscribe & Save prices are listed with standard 5% Off S&S discount.
- The S&S discount will be 15% Off for those with 5+ monthly subscriptions.
- The S&S discount will be 20% Off for Amazon Mom/Prime members with 5+ monthly subscriptions.
If you liked this deal, check out more Online Deals!
Please note that Amazon’s prices fluctuate and can change at any time. Be sure to verify current price before placing your order. Find more great Amazon Deals in ourAmazon Category!