We wanted to wish everyone a Happy Father’s Day. My daddy is celebrating in heaven. Although, I miss him so much I know nothing on earth can compare to his eternal home. I am so thankful that we will see him again and spend eternity together. Today, my kids and I celebrate my hubby. He is an incredible husband, father, and friend. I am blessed beyond measure, and so thankful. Hold tight to the Father’s in your life you celebrate today, I hope that you can relax and lay the cares of this life aside.
On a not so serious note, my kids asked a couple of years ago how Father’s Day started. Don’t know about you, but I had no idea. So, we looked up some Father’s Day Facts and included them below in case you were wondering yourself.
Facts about Father’s Day
- The first local Father’s Day was celebrated on June 19, 1910, in Spokane, Washington.
- Father’s Day was first celebrated on the third Sunday of June.
- Sonora Louise Smart Dodd, of Spokane, Washington, started the tradition of Father’s Day in the honor of her dad, William Smart, a widowed Civil War veteran.
- In 1916, US President Woodrow Wilson approved the idea of observing an annual Father’s Day.
- In1924, US President Calvin Coolidge made Father’s Day a national event.
- In 1966, US President Lyndon Johnson signed a presidential proclamation declaring the 3rd Sunday of June as Father’s Day.
- Father’s Day is the fifth most popular card-sending holiday, with an estimated $100 million in card sales. Husbands, grandfathers, uncles, sons and sons-in-law are honored as well as father.
- The first presidential proclamation honoring fathers was issued in 1966 when President Lyndon Johnson designated the third Sunday in June as Father’s Day.
- Father’s Day has been celebrated annually since 1972 when President Richard Nixon signed the public law that made it permanent.
- Neck ties, according to the U.S. Census Bureau, are the number one gift for Father’s Day.
- In terms of popularity, Father’s Day gifts include hammers, wrenches and screwdrivers. Other presents for dad have a sporty theme: Golf clubs and fishing rods.
- In Costa Rica, attempts were made to celebrate Father’s Day on March 19, which is the feast day of St. Joseph. However, the official Father’s Day date in Costa Rica is still third Sunday in June.
- Rose is the official flower for Father’s Day. Wearing a red rose signifies a living father, while white one represents deceased father.
- It has been claimed by Hallmark, the renowned greeting card maker that Father’s Day makes up the fifth-largest card-sending holiday in the world.
- It is believed that the word “Dad” dates back to as early as the sixteenth century.
- In Australia, the first Sunday of September is observed as Father’s Day, while Finnish people celebrate the festival on the second Sunday of November. In Thailand, 5th December is observed as Father’s Day every year.
Father’s Day Printable | DAD & ME Questionnaire for Kids
My kids always come home with the sweetest “All About My Mom” questionnaires they’ve filled out at school for Mother’s Day. They are some of my absolute favorite keepsakes – especially the one where my 8 year old guesses “I think my moms weighs… 100 Pounds”. ;)
I decided to make a Father’s Day Printable questionnaire for the boys to fill out this year. Feel free to print out this very basic Q&A for your kids – and see what kinds of answers they come up with!
Father’s Day Printable Dad & Me Questionnaire - PRINT HERE
While you’re at it, check out our 11 BEST Father’s Day Dessert Ideas
And help the kids give something out of their own allowance with these ideas for Father’s Day Gifts from Kids (under $5)
Today Only, you can get a great on Family Handyman Magazine – for just $4.99 (that’s 75% OFF) You can send a gift subscription as well at this price – and your recipient will receive an Ecard. This is perfect if you’ve got some Spring Projects on your mind or to buy in advance for Father’s Day!
How to get this deal:
- Go HERE and add the magazine to your cart
- Enter code TIME2SAVE at checkout for your discount
- Expires on 4/12, at 11:59 PM EST
If you or anyone you know is an Ernest fan – you can’t pass up this deal! Right now on Amazon, pick up the Ernest Goes to Camp/Ernest Scared STupid/Ernest Goes to Jail DVD for just $4.99!!