Field & Stream Magazines only $4.97!
For a limited time, DiscountMags is offering $5 Off select magazine subscriptions with code TREATS.
If your dad is an outdoors guy – you may want to snag this Field & Stream Magazine Subscription for just $4.97 right now! (89% OFF the cover price) Just use code TREATS to take $5 OFF select magazines found here.
Kohl’s Barstools only $13.99!
We wanted to wish everyone a Happy Father’s Day. My daddy is celebrating in heaven. Although, I miss him so much I know nothing on earth can compare to his eternal home. I am so thankful that we will see him again and spend eternity together. Today, my kids and I celebrate my hubby. He is an incredible husband, father, and friend. I am blessed beyond measure, and so thankful. Hold tight to the Father’s in your life you celebrate today, I hope that you can relax and lay the cares of this life aside.
On a not so serious note, my kids asked a couple of years ago how Father’s Day started. Don’t know about you, but I had no idea. So, we looked up some Father’s Day Facts and included them below in case you were wondering yourself.
Facts about Father’s Day
- The first local Father’s Day was celebrated on June 19, 1910, in Spokane, Washington.
- Father’s Day was first celebrated on the third Sunday of June.
- Sonora Louise Smart Dodd, of Spokane, Washington, started the tradition of Father’s Day in the honor of her dad, William Smart, a widowed Civil War veteran.
- In 1916, US President Woodrow Wilson approved the idea of observing an annual Father’s Day.
- In1924, US President Calvin Coolidge made Father’s Day a national event.
- In 1966, US President Lyndon Johnson signed a presidential proclamation declaring the 3rd Sunday of June as Father’s Day.
- Father’s Day is the fifth most popular card-sending holiday, with an estimated $100 million in card sales. Husbands, grandfathers, uncles, sons and sons-in-law are honored as well as father.
- The first presidential proclamation honoring fathers was issued in 1966 when President Lyndon Johnson designated the third Sunday in June as Father’s Day.
- Father’s Day has been celebrated annually since 1972 when President Richard Nixon signed the public law that made it permanent.
- Neck ties, according to the U.S. Census Bureau, are the number one gift for Father’s Day.
- In terms of popularity, Father’s Day gifts include hammers, wrenches and screwdrivers. Other presents for dad have a sporty theme: Golf clubs and fishing rods.
- In Costa Rica, attempts were made to celebrate Father’s Day on March 19, which is the feast day of St. Joseph. However, the official Father’s Day date in Costa Rica is still third Sunday in June.
- Rose is the official flower for Father’s Day. Wearing a red rose signifies a living father, while white one represents deceased father.
- It has been claimed by Hallmark, the renowned greeting card maker that Father’s Day makes up the fifth-largest card-sending holiday in the world.
- It is believed that the word “Dad” dates back to as early as the sixteenth century.
- In Australia, the first Sunday of September is observed as Father’s Day, while Finnish people celebrate the festival on the second Sunday of November. In Thailand, 5th December is observed as Father’s Day every year.
Treat Dad to a Father’s Day Dinner with this roundup of weekend Restaurant Deals Father’s Day Edition!
DIY Sharpie Mug
I posted this DIY Sharpie Mug last year as an idea for Teacher Appreciation week (Keep reading this post for full instructions), but it also works great for Father’s Day! Here are a couple mug ideas to get you started:
- Best. Dad. Ever.
- Showcase your kids’ drawing of Dad (this is so cute!)
- Trace your child’s handprint
Of course, it would still make a darling teacher gift ….
With four kids in school, I’m always looking for frugal gift ideas for teachers who work so hard to teach (and love on) my babies, day in and day out. I wanted to make something special for them from the whole class – like a mug with all the kids names on it.
Here’s how to make this mug – keep in mind, regular Sharpies DON’T work for this project:
If you need a last -minute Father’s Day gift, grab this Best. Dad. Ever. shirt for the kids to give dad on Father’s Day for only $13.99 Shipped! (Choose your color & size, then look to the right to see the Prime Option)
It comes in several colors and I really think it’s a cool looking shirt – compared to some of the others you see out there. I could TOTALLY picture my husband wearing this one around the house. The price varies just slightly depending on which color you pick - I love the grey
Plus, get FREE 2-Day Shipping with Amazon Prime, or Free Super-Saver shipping with a $35 purchase.
If you liked this deal, check out more Online Deals!
Please note that Amazon’s prices fluctuate and can change at any time. Be sure to verify current price before placing your order. Find more great Amazon Deals in ourAmazon Category!