Kasey here, my kids and I made this mouth watering Mississippi Mud Cake today for my husband for Father’s Day. It’s completely from scratch, but so easy to make. In fact, my 7 and 10 year old could almost make it by themselves, with a little help from mom of course. It’s a perfect last minute dessert for your favorite chocolate lover. We decided to eat a little piece tonight since my hubby came in from working in the yard and saw what we were cooking. I think it was the first time my kids had ever had Mississippi Mud Cake before, they said it was the best cake ever and that the frosting tasted like fudge!
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cup self rising flour
- 9 TBS cocoa
- 4 eggs
- 2 sticks butter
- 2 tsp vanilla
- dash salt
- 1 cup nuts (optional)
- 1 stick butter
- 7 TBS cocoa
- 1/8 - 1/4 cup milk
- 1 box confectioners sugar
- 1/2 to 1 cup nuts (optional)
- Combine melted butter, cocoa, sugar, eggs, and vanilla in large mixing bowl.
- Using mixer on low/medium mix thoroughly.
- Stir in flour, salt, and nuts then pour in greased 9X13 baking pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes.
- Remove from oven, pour small pkg of marshmallows over top of cake.
- Cover with aluminum foil for 7 min, then frost.
- Melt 1 stick butter in medium saucepan over low heat.
- Add cocoa, milk and confectioners sugar.
- Stir until sugar melts and frosting is smooth.
- Remove from heat and stir in nuts and vanilla.