My name is Jamie. I am a Clearance-Aisle Addict.
I have been known to sneak out of the house on an early January evening, on the pretense of grabbing milk or bread, just to stop by the drugstore around the corner to see if Christmas is up to 75% OFF yet. It all started before I was a couponer, when I felt like clearance sales were the only way I could get good deals. Now – although all that has changed, I still get giddy when I start down the Christmas clearance aisle
Thanks to couponing and being a savvier online shopper, this is the first time I’ve actually had a little extra money left-over after Christmas. That made it a kazillion times more fun to hit a clearance sale – and hit them I did.
- I’ve picked up toys for next year’s Angel Tree at church: a keyboard for $3.75, a 2-Pack of nerf dart guns for $5, a snuggly puppy with a velvet bow for $2.50.
- I’ve grabbed toys for a rainy day (which I ended up using during this snowy week) – like Bendaroos for $1.25 a box.
- I got SUPER-cheap fleece blankets to give to my church’s blanket drive.
- And I am entirely stocked up on cookie containers, cupcake liners, sprinkles, and various baking knick-knacks for next year’s “Cake Ball Extravaganza”.
I want to encourage you, as everything in town has just about hit the 75% OFF mark, to shop clearance with an eye on the future. Shop creatively. Shop SMART. And shop with a giving heart! This is a GREAT opportunity to get small items for the Operation Christmas Child shoeboxes, or larger ones for the Angel Tree, Toys for Tots, etc…
Here are some great things to grab, if you see them cheap (thanks to Kasey for some of these great ideas!):
Stocking Stuffers for next year:
- Slipper Socks, Slippers
- Activity Books, Small Toys
- Some Candy (Check the expiration date)
- Holiday packaged lotions & potions
Gifts (for next year, Valentine’s Day, or birthdays!):
- Toys *Drugstores have limited space, so theirs will go REALLY low until they’re gone.
- Gifty Appliances
- Robes, Pampering Sets
- Fragrance Sets (Use the $5/1 from the December ALL*YOU to score a great deal on some!)
- Craft Projects
- Gifty Bath Sets/Kid’s Bath Sets
- Babies 1st Christmas Stuff (for shower gifts next year)
- Makeup or Hair Barette/Bow Sets
Practical Supplies (That happen to look Christmasy):
- Cookie/Cupcake pans *Walmart had them for $3.75!
- Paper Cups, Plates, Napkins (Use red for Valentines Day & Green for St. Patrick’s Day)
- Vinyl/Plastic Tablecloths (for play-doh mats, rainy-day art projects, etc…)
- Tape, Scissors
- Cute wicker baskets with holiday liners (take out the liners for cheap storage baskets!)
- Fleece Blankets
- Personal Hygiene Sets (Even better deals can be had with coupons too!)
- Red/Green Loofahs
- Underwear/Kids Pajamas
And of course, Christmas Decor/Supplies for next year:
- Lights, Garland, etc…
- Christmas Cards, Wrapping Paper (Plain silver/gold can be used for weddings)
- Special *pricier* ornaments for next year
- Ribbons, Bows
- Sprinkles, Cupcake Liners
- Deluxe Nuts Sets
- Christmas Candy
- Refrigerated Holiday Cookies
- Christmas Oreos, Ritz, etc….